The Advent calendar originates in Germany during the 19th and 20th centuries. It is a special calendar used to take into account and celebrate the days prior too, and in anticipation of Christmas Day.
The Advent calendar normally begins on 1st December, although many include the previous few days that are part of the festive season. These calendars range in theme and come in a number of different formats, but normally take the form of a simple paper calendar with flaps covering each of the days leading up to Christmas Day.
The calendar windows open each consecutive day to reveal a picture, poem, part of a story, or a small present, such as a small and normally inexpensive toy or piece of confectionary. Advent calendars may also have puzzles and games printed on their reverse side; and there are luxurious versions.
If Christmas countdown wasn’t already exciting enough for us all, advent calendars were produced to make the lead up to the festive period even more memorable.
For the purpose of this blog, I wish to focus on another ‘twist‘ on Advent calendars – the beauty advent calendars. As opposed to the advent calendar being opened each day to reveal the likes of chocolate and sweet things, the beauty advent calendar contains beauty gifts.
As a family valued person and christian, advent calendars have always been one of the nicest things in the lead up to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ at Christmas. So you can imagine my joy and excitement when beauty advent became a fairly standard custom and practice in the U.K.
Each morning we have the opening of each calendar window to find out exactly which Christmas gift is heading our way. This makes the time to countdown to Christmas all the more special, through advent calendars for all ages.
Try your best to show some patience and restraint by just opening one door each day to discover a collection of classic favourites and new fragrances. Behind each door, a richly scented little luxury gift is concealed; indulgent presents to prepare for the festivities. Unanticipated. Indulgent. Desirable.
Here’s a round-up of 2016 beauty advent calendar must-haves, to suit the grown up kids amongst us!
Molton Brown Scented Luxuries Advent Calendar (RRP: £150)
This collection of classic favourites and new fragrances from Molton Brown contain: –
- Ylang-Ylang Body Wash, 50ml
- Ylang-Ylang Nourishing Body Lotion, 50ml
- Ylang-Ylang Comforting Body Polisher, 50g
- Ylang-Ylang Mini Candle, 30g
- Orange & Bergamot Hand Wash, 100ml
- Coco & Sandalwood Body Wash, 50ml
- Delicious Rhubarb & Rose Bath & Shower Gel, 50ml
- Gingerlily Body Wash, 50ml
- Gingerlily Nourishing Body Lotion, 50ml
- Heavenly Gingerlily Caressing Body Polisher, 50ml
- Gingerlily Candles, 30g
- Black Peppercorn Body Wash, 50ml
- Indian Cress Purifying Shampoo, 50ml
- Mer-Rouge Deep Conditioner, 50g
- Pink Pepperpod Body Wash, 50ml
- Pink Pepperpod Nourishing Body Lotion, 50ml
- Fiery Pink Pepper Pampering Body Polisher, 50ml
- Pink Pepperpod Mini Candle, 30g
- Dewy Lily of the Valley & Star Anise Bath & Shower Gel, 50ml
- Festive Frankincense & Allspice Fine Liquid Hand Wash, 100ml
- Tobacco Absolute Bath & Shower Gel, 50ml
- Alba White Truffle Hand Exfoliator, 40ml
- Alba White Truffle Hand Treatment, 40ml
- Vintage 2016 with Elderflower Festive Bauble, 75ml
Decléor Beauty Advent Calendar 25 Surprise Treats (RRP: £60)
The Decléor Beauty Advent Calendar 25 Surprise Treats, features 2 full size products, Hydra Floral Light Cream tube (30ml) and Hand Cream (50ml) alongside 19 face products and 6 body solutions.
The selection of sample and travel sizes feature: –
Essential Cleansing Milk
24hr Hydrating Light Cream
1000 Grain Body Exfoliator
Satin Soft Dry Oil Hydra Floral Mask
Alguaromes Toning Shower Gel
Neroli Night Balm Micellar Oil
Aurabsolu Intense Glow Cream
Aurabsolu Eyes Corrector
Aromaessence Svelt Systeme Corps Body Milk
Clarins Advent Calendar Makeup Gift Set (RRP: £95)
The Clarins Advent Calendar includes a range of hero products and Clarins accessories.
- Detox Booster, 15ml
- Beauty Flash Balm, 50ml
- Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil, 7ml
- Hand and Nail Treatment Cream, 30ml
- Toning Lotion, 50ml
- Eau Dynamisante, 15ml
- Mini Blush Prodige, 3g
- Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, 4ml
- Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector, 5ml
- Mini Crayon Khol Eye Liner 0.47g
- Mini Wonder Perfect Mascara or Wonder Volume Mascara 01 Black, 3ml
- Instant Light Radiance Boosting Complexion Base, 10ml
- Instant Eye Make-up Remover, 10ml
- Cleansing Milk 10ml
- Gentle Refiner Exfoliating Cream, 5ml
- HydraQuench Intensive Serum Bi-Phase, 3ml
- HydraQuench Cream, 5ml
- HydraQuench Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm, 3ml
- Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil, 2ml
- One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser, 5ml
- A selection of Clarins accessories
Hope the above gives you a brief idea of whats out there in the 2016 Beauty Advent Calendar market; and clearly we are spoilt for choice! If you are looking to purchase any of these beauty products, these are available from stock at John Lewis online at johnlewis.com, but it might be best to do a price comparison.